Duty of Care to Your Injured Employees

It is your responsibility to assist your injured worker with seeking first aid or medical treatment for their injury or illness.

The injured worker is entitled to nominate their own treating doctor or medical practitioner who will be responsible for a medical assessment of their injury, providing them with a medical certificate and medical treatment if required.

Early Claims Notification Requirement

It is important that you notify NT WorkSafe of any reportable incident as soon as you become aware of it by calling 1800 019 115. You must also provide NT WorkSafe with written notification on the incident, in an approved NT WorkSafe Incident Notification Form (FM137), within 48 hours after its occurrence. Please forward this form to GIO by either:

  • Fax:  1300 684 462 or
  • Mail: NT WorkSafe, GPO Box 1722, Darwin, NT 0801

If you wish to notify GIO of an injury online, you are required to complete this form.

How to Lodge an Insurance Claim

To lodge a workers compensation claim you need to:

  • Have your worker complete Part 1 and Part 2 of the Workers Compensation Claim Form.
  • Obtain the Statement of Fitness for work - First Certificate from your worker.
  • Forward the claim form and medical certificate to GIO within 3 business days from when your injured worker submitted the signed and dated claim form to you.

Please forward all documentation by either:

  • Fax:  1300 684 462
  • Mail: GIO Workers Compensation Claims, GPO Box 377, Darwin, NT 0801
  • Email: wcclaimsnt@gio.com.au

We encourage you to maintain contact with your injured worker and GIO to ensure all parties work together to achieve a successful outcome.

For more details, please contact your GIO Case Officer or call our Claims team on 08 6188 0990.

Frequently asked questions
for Workers Compensation