What is Tradies Insurance?
Tradies Insurance is specialist cover for tradespeople, whether they’re mobile or from a fixed premise. And because every trades business is unique, we’ve created flexible policies you can tailor to suit your needs.
Reasons to choose GIO Tradies Insurance
Frequently asked questions
Public Liability Insurance helps cover costs related to injury and property damage sustained by third parties — that is, anyone who isn’t an employee, manager or owner — in connection with your business activities.
So if you’re going about your business and someone’s injured or their property is damaged — for example, they trip over cables and hurt themselves, or break their phone — Public Liability Insurance can help you deal with the associated costs.
Public Liability Insurance helps cover things like:
- flooding caused by a faulty pipe fitting
- slips and trips caused by tools and equipment left in open areas
- injury caused by falling cabinetry that’s been incorrectly fitted, and
- injury caused by a pedestrian falling into a ditch that’s been dug for a project.
It depends. Some states require evidence of Public Liability Insurance before a licence can be issued for certain trades. In some cases you may be required to show proof of Public Liability Insurance before you can enter work sites.
You can find out if this applies to you by checking your relevant state government website.
It depends on the needs of your business. There are a couple of things to consider:
- The contracts you work on. Some contracts will require a minimum amount covered. For example, if your business is within a shopping centre, you may find the contract specifies $20 million be covered.
- The conditions of your licence (if applicable). As an example, electrical contractors are required to hold a minimum of $5 million public liability cover in order to obtain their licence in some states.
Both Public and Products Liability provide cover for business-related injury or property damage caused to third parties. Both of these covers are included in Tradies Insurance policies, but there are some differences to note.
- Public Liability provides cover for injury or property damage that occurs while you’re on the job. However it won’t cover employee medical expenses or damage to property or goods your business owns. These are respectively covered by workers compensation and Property Insurance.
- Products Liability provides cover for injury or damage caused by products you distribute, supply, or manufacture. It also includes completed work that is defective, provided you have cover in place at the time of the loss. This can make Products Liability valuable even during periods where you’re not working.
For example, an electrician incorrectly installing a power point may still be liable for subsequent damage even if they didn’t make the product themselves.
Professional Indemnity Insurance is for professionals who provide advice or services to their customers. It helps covers you for legal costs and claims by third parties for damages related to specialist advice or specialist services provided by you as part of your business.
For example, if a customer suffers injury or financial loss as a result of acting on advice you gave them, they may take legal action against you.
We cover both portable powered and non-powered hand-held tools. You have the option of selecting an unspecified sum insured (up to $2,500 per item) or a specified sum, which allows you to list individual equipment at a specified value.
Commercial Motor Vehicle Insurance covers your work vehicle for insured events, such as theft or accidental damage. It can also help cover you if loss occurs during business-related activities, such as driving to sites or client meetings.
We offer three types of Commercial Motor Vehicle Insurance cover:
- Comprehensive. This provides cover for accidental damage to your vehicle and includes legal liability cover. Accessories in, on, or attached to your vehicle are also covered. This includes tow bars, bull bars, fixed GPS units, winch, tarpaulins, sign writing, standard vehicle tools and toolboxes.
- Legal liability, fire and theft. This helps cover your legal liability as well as damage or loss related to fire and theft.
- Legal liability only. This exclusively provides cover for your legal liability.
Vehicles that qualify for Commercial Motor Vehicle Insurance include:
- cars, utes, vans, 4WDs, and light trucks not exceeding 2 tonne
- caravans and trailers (additional benefit up to $2,000 for two wheel or box trailers)
- towable compressors
- bobcats, and
- ride-on lawnmowers, rotary hoes, chippers, and stump grinders.
We don’t cover:
- mobile cranes
- hook risks
- long haulage vehicles
- concrete agitator vehicles
- garbage compactors, and
- concrete pumping trucks or trailers.
After entering your details, our application will determine a range of covers that are available for your business.
Speak to a GIO Business Insurance consultant
Cover for your building, business contents, stock or specified items for events such as fire, storm (excluding flood), impact, lightning, explosion and earthquake. Also included is the cost of removing debris, and rewriting of records.
Flood cover is not covered as standard. If requested, it may be added to your policy for an additional premium and subject to our underwriting guidelines. Not available online, please call 13 10 10 if interested.
Under the policy, "flood" is defined as the covering of a normally dry land by water that has escaped or been released from the normal confines of any of the following:
- a lake (whether or not it has been altered or modified);
- a river (whether or not it has been altered or modified);
- a creek (whether or not it has been altered or modified);
- another natural watercourse (whether or not it has been altered or modified);
- a reservoir;
- a canal; or
- a dam.
GIO Business Insurance can cover certain water damage caused by circumstances other than those outlined above; for example, from a damaged water pipe. For more information, please read the PDS.
Cover for theft of your contents, specified items and stock. Cover is not provided for theft of contents in the open air.
Covers loss or damage to glass that you own or for which you are legally responsible at your business premises, the cost of temporary shuttering, replacement of sign writing, cost of replacing any window tinting film and the cost value of stock and contents spoiled by the broken glass.
Covers loss of money at your business premises during and outside of business hours. Cover is also provided for money lost during transit, whilst in a safe or strongroom or in custody at a residential premises. The policy does not cover loss of money due to accounting or clerical errors or theft by staff.
Provides cover for reduction in turnover or revenue if your business is interrupted due to an insured event such as fire, burglary or storm damage. Reasonable claims preparation costs and increased cost of working are included as extra covers.
Public and Products Liability cover
Cover for your legal liability for personal injury, damage to third party property, and/or advertising liability if it occurred in connection with your business.
Portable and Valuable Items
Cover for portable and valuable items such as mobile phones, laptop computers and tools of trade that you usually carry around with you in the course of your business. Cover is provided for accidental loss or damage to portable and valuable items worldwide. Cover limit up to $2,500 applies per item unless the item has been specified for a higher value.
Covers you for professional fees (such as accounting fees) associated with a tax audit or investigation of your business’s tax affairs by the ATO or Government agency. Tax Probe cover provided depends on whether you select Business Audit only, Business and Directors Audit or Individual cover.
Commercial Motor Vehicle Insurance offers three types of cover for your business vehicles:
- Comprehensive cover: provides cover for your vehicle as well as third party property damage
- Legal liability, fire and theft: provides cover for your vehicle for fire and theft only and cover for third party property damage
- Legal liability: provides cover for third party property damage only.
(Not available online)
Covers the cost of repairing or replacing your insured equipment due to a breakdown at your business premises. Cover is also provided for any direct loss or damage to insured property as a result of the breakdown. Deterioration of stock, restoration of computer data and increased costs of working are optional covers available for an additional premium.
Personal Accident & Illness
(Not available online)
Business insurance not only can provide cover for damage to physical assets, but can also offer Personal Accident & Illness cover to business owners and staff named on the policy schedule. There are 2 types of cover:
- Accident only
- Accident & Illness
Goods in Transit
(Not available online)
Provides cover for loss or damage caused to goods you sell, buy or use in your business when they are in transit. There are 2 types of covers:
- Specified perils: includes collision, fire and explosion
- Accidental damage: includes specified perils and accidental loss or damage
(Not available online)
Covers the management liability of you, your directors, officers and employees. Optional cover for Employee Dishonesty is also available for an additional premium.
Looking for more detail? Information provided is general advice only and doesn’t take into account your particular objectives, financial situation or needs so you should consider whether it is appropriate for you before acting on it. Conditions, exclusions and limits apply. Consider the Product Disclosure Statement before making a decision about this insurance. The Target Market Determination is also available.