Your browser version is no longer supported, so you may experience issues while using this site.
Please upgrade to a current browser to enjoy the best experience.

Compulsory Third Party Insurance

  • 4 minute online quoting
  • GIO Driver Cover Plus
  • Automatic NSW Green Slip payment notification to RMS 

What is CTP Insurance?

Compulsory Third Party (CTP) Personal Injury Insurance, also known as a Green Slip in NSW and rego in ACT, is a compulsory insurance required for every registered vehicle in Australia.

It provides protection to the vehicle owner and ‘at fault’ driver against compensation claims from people injured in a motor accident.

By having CTP Insurance, if people are injured in an accident you cause, the cost of all reasonable medical treatment will be covered.

Plus, if you take out Compulsory Third Party Insurance or a Green Slip with GIO we also include Driver Cover Plus, at no extra cost, which provides benefits to an eligible driver if they’re hurt in an accident they cause.

CTP NSW Green Slip

Green Slip Insurance in NSW is purchased separately to your vehicle registration. 

Get a CTP Quote Find Out More


Compulsory Third Party Insurance (CTP) forms part of the payment made to Access Canberra to register or renew the registration of your vehicle in the ACT.

Renew Now Find Out More

Do I need Compulsory Third Party Insurance?

Yes, if you own a registered vehicle you need to get Compulsory Third Party Insurance as it’s a mandatory requirement for all vehicles in Australia. If you live in NSW or ACT you can choose your Green Slip / rego provider whereas in some other states it is bundled together with paying your vehicle registration fees.

Does CTP cover damage to my car?

No, it doesn’t include cover for damage to your car, other vehicles or property.

Compulsory Third Party Insurance provides cover for people that are injured in a road accident they didn’t cause. This includes road users such as other drivers, passengers, pedestrians, cyclists, and motorbike riders.

If you’re looking to protect your car from damage, see our Car Insurance products. With a range of cover to choose from, you’ll find the product for you whether it’s Third Party Property Damage Car Insurance or Comprehensive Car Insurance.

View our Third Party Car Insurance products

View our Comprehensive Car Insurance products

Frequently Asked Questions

for CTP Insurance