Your guide to CTP Green Slip Insurance in NSW

5 September 2019

When you register a vehicle in New South Wales, you need to have Compulsory Third Party (CTP) Green Slip Insurance. How CTP Insurance works can seem confusing, mainly because the rules for registering a vehicle in NSW can change depending on the age of your car and its registration status.

Fortunately, CTP Green Slip Insurance itself is pretty straightforward. Here’s a quick look at what you need to know.

What is CTP Green Slip Insurance?

In NSW, Compulsory Third Party (CTP) Insurance, also known as a Green Slip, is mandatory for nearly all vehicles (caravans and trailers are usually included under the Green Slip of the towing vehicle). CTP covers your liability, or the liability of someone else driving your car, for personal injuries resulting from a motor accident. 

GIO makes it simple to sort out your CTP Green Slip. We’ll even let Transport for NSW (TfNSW) know once you’ve purchased it. That way, when you register your vehicle you’re ready to hit the road.

Get A CTP Quote Today

What you need to know about NSW CTP Green Slip Insurance

Buying a new or second-hand car from a dealer

When you purchase a new car from a NSW dealer, they will often organise your registration and associated CTP Green Slip Insurance for you. If you don’t have a current driver licence or you’ve never had a NSW vehicle registration in your name, you’ll first need to get set up as a Transport for NSW (TfNSW) customer. To do so, visit a Service NSW location with proof of your identity.

When you buy a used car from a NSW dealer, they’ll transfer the rego and associated Green Slip Insurance to you, the new owner, as part of the sale (as long as you're set up as a TfNSW customer, as described above). When negotiating the vehicle price, be sure to ask how many months of rego will be included in the sale.

If the dealer isn’t able to organise the vehicle’s rego for you, or you’d prefer to organise it yourself, you can follow the steps for purchasing a second-hand car privately, shown below.

Buying a second-hand car privately

When purchasing a used car from a private seller, you’ll need to transfer its NSW registration into your name within 14 days. To do this, you’ll need to:

When purchasing a second-hand car privately that isn’t registered in NSW or isn’t registered at all, you will need to get an unregistered vehicle inspection (also known as a Blue Slip).

Selling a vehicle privately, or registering your vehicle in another state

If you’re selling or disposing a vehicle, you need to let TfNSW know as soon as possible by submitting a Notice of Disposal.

If you’re moving interstate, check with your new state’s vehicle registration agency to learn how to make the transfer.

There are only some circumstances under which you can cancel your CTP Green Slip, including the de-registering of the vehicle and Unused Green Slip. You’ll need to supply a confirmation of cancellation letter from the TfNSW. If you purchased CTP from GIO, call us on 13 10 10 (check our contact hours) for more information.

Renewing your registration and CTP Insurance

To make sure your NSW rego doesn’t lapse, renew your CTP policy well in advance of your rego’s expiry. Keep in mind you can’t renew your NSW rego until TfNSW receives confirmation of the vehicle’s CTP Insurance. When renewing your registration, you may also need to get an eSafety check (also known as a Pink Slip) if your vehicle is over five years old. Your registration papers will state whether or not you need an inspection.

Renewing a CTP policy from GIO is easy. Visit our NSW Green Slip CTP Insurance payment / renewal page to pay online, with no login required.

Once you’ve purchased your CTP policy, GIO will send the policy details to TfNSW electronically. If you pay online, by phone or at a GIO Agency, your payment will reach the TfNSW within one hour. It can take up to two business days if you pay at an Australia Post location.

Once TfNSW receives your policy details, you can renew your registration online at the Service NSW website. Learn more about rego renewal.

Need cover for your vehicle itself?

CTP Green Slip covers you if you injure yourself or someone else in an accident, but it won’t insure you for damages to your car, other vehicles or property.

With a Car Insurance policy from GIO, you’ll know you’re protected.

GIO offers four levels of vehicle insurance cover, from Third Party Car Insurance to Platinum Comprehensive. Don’t leave it to chance, know you’re covered with GIO.

Explore GIO Car Insurance

Read more:

Insurance issued by AAI Limited ABN 48 005 297 807 trading as GIO. Please read and consider the relevant Product Disclosure Statement before you make any decisions about GIO insurance products.

GIO Online Services currently displays policy information for GIO Home and Contents, Landlord Property and Contents and Car Insurance policies. It also shows certain claim information for GIO Home and Contents, Landlord Property and Contents, Car, Motorcycle and Caravan policies . Claims information is not available for the following GIO, Compulsory Third Party Personal Injury Insurance, Commercial Motor Vehicle Insurance, Boat Insurance, Business Insurance, Accidental Injury Insurance, Accidental Death Plan Insurance, Strata Liability Cover Insurance, Workers Compensation Insurance and Travel Insurance, or for all claim types such as Legal Liability. See GIO’s Online Terms for further information.