ACT Motor Accident Injuries (MAI) Insurance

  • All registered vehicles in the ACT are required to have Motor Accident Injuries (MAI) Insurance.

Check GIO MAI Insurance premiums

Renew now

What is ACT MAI Insurance?

Motor Accident Injuries (MAI) Insurance provides cover for people injured in a motor vehicle accident in the ACT. You may be entitled to receive treatment, care and lost income benefits for up to five years – regardless of who is at fault.

MAI Insurance was previously known as Compulsory Third Party Insurance (CTP), and only covered people injured by an at-fault driver prior to 1 February 2020.

In the ACT, MAI Insurance is included in your total registration fee paid to Access Canberra when you register your vehicle.

To choose GIO as your MAI insurer simply select GIO when you pay your motor vehicle registration.

For more information on premiums, visit the Motor Accident Injuries website.


Do I need Motor Accident Injuries Insurance?

Yes, if you own a registered vehicle in the ACT you will need Motor Accident Injuries (MAI) Insurance as it’s a mandatory requirement. If you live in ACT you can choose GIO as your MAI Insurance provider when you pay your registration through Access Canberra


Does MAI Insurance cover damage to my car?

No, MAI Insurance doesn’t include cover for damage to your car, other vehicles or property. It only covers personal injuries incurred in a motor vehicle accident.

If you’d like to insure your vehicle as well, see our Car Insurance products. With two main options to choose from, Comprehensive Car Insurance and Third Party Property Damage, you can find the product that suits your needs and budget.

View our Third Party Car Insurance products.

View our Comprehensive Car Insurance products.


People also ask

Got a question?

Ask George, your GIO Virtual Assistant