What does CTP cover?

21 May 2021

Compulsory Third Party (CTP) Insurance, also known as Green Slip in New South Wales, provides cover for people who may be injured or killed in a motor vehicle accident involving your vehicle. This may include the driver of your vehicle, other drivers, passengers, pedestrians, cyclists and motorcyclists. It doesn’t cover the cost of damage to vehicles and property, nor does it cover damage to — or loss of — your own vehicle.

It’s compulsory in New South Wales to have your Green Slip before you register or renew your vehicle’s registration. You can get your Green Slip from licenced insurers in the NSW CTP scheme, including GIO.

Get a quote

What is covered by CTP Insurance?

The following are covered by CTP Insurance in NSW:

  • Your liability for injuries caused to third parties in a motor vehicle accident.
  • The liability of other people who drive your vehicle for injuries caused to third parties in a motor vehicle accident.
  • Medical treatment and expenses.
  • Payment for lost income.

Anyone injured in an accident, regardless of fault (unless you’re charged with a serious driving offence in connection with the accident) can claim for medical expenses and lost income.

Medical expenses are for up to twelve months of treatment and rehabilitation, plus commercial attendant care if you need help around the home while you recover. You can also claim a percentage of your pre-injury weekly income if you need time off work to recover.

If you are not mostly at fault, and if you have more than a minor injury, you can claim benefits for longer than the twelve months.

What's not covered by CTP Insurance:
Damage to your vehicle and damage to other people's vehicles or property aren’t covered by CTP Insurance.

For example, if you’re at fault in a car collision and cause damage to someone else’s car and your own, you may be responsible for the costs of repairing or replacing the other person’s car — as well as your own.

That’s why it’s a good idea to consider cover such as Third Party Property Damage Car Insurance or Comprehensive Car Insurance, in addition to CTP Insurance. 

Does it matter what state you live in?

How you get CTP varies depending on the state. For example, Victorian, Tasmanian, Western Australian, and Northern Territory motorists pay for their CTP and registration together, without having to choose a provider or make a separate payment. In South Australia, you choose an insurer when paying your registration.

In Queensland, CTP is attached to the registration of your vehicle. You can change your CTP insurer when you renew your registration. You can nominate to switch to a different insurer at any time, but the change won’t take effect until your next registration renewal.

In the Australian Capital Territory you have to select your Motor Accident Injuries (MAI) Insurance provider when completing your vehicle registration with Access Canberra.

Read more:

Insurance issued by AAI Limited ABN 48 005 297 807 trading as GIO. Read the Product Disclosure Statement before buying Car Insurance. This advice has been prepared without taking into account your particular objectives, financial situations or needs, so you should consider whether it is appropriate for you before acting on it.