INSURING YOUR CAR
Are car break-ins covered by insurance?
Car insurance can provide peace of mind and cover for your belongings in case they’re stolen or damaged in a break-in. But what exactly this includes depends on the type and level of insurance you have.
Comprehensive Car Insurance
With GIO Comprehensive Car Insurance, you’re covered for:
- damage to your car, including wheels and rims (up to the amount covered)
- personal items (up to $1,000)
- tools of trade (up to $1,500)
- child seats, if either damaged or stolen (up to $750 each)
- hire car for up to 21 days, if selected as an option on your policy and only when your vehicle is being repaired after a claim, or if your car has been stolen, and
- towing and storage, if required.
Fire, Theft & Third Party Property Damage cover
If your car was stolen — or there’s evidence someone tried to steal it — and you have Fire, Theft & Third Party Property Damage Insurance, the coverage listed above applies.
Portable valuables cover
If your car was parked at home when the break-in happened, your home and contents insurance may cover items stolen from inside.
After a bit more peace of mind? For cover anywhere in Australia and New Zealand, adding Portable valuables cover to your home insurance policy might be the way to go. This is an optional extra with GIO Classic and Classic Extras cover, but Platinum policies automatically include cover for your contents while they’re away from home*.
Windscreen and window glass cover
With GIO Platinum Car Insurance, your car is protected by all our Comprehensive cover benefits, plus windscreen and window glass cover is included as standard.
Even better — we’ll cover the cost to repair or replace your damaged windscreen or window glass (including sunroof) without you having to pay an excess. You can claim for this once per period of insurance. This means that, if someone smashes a window and takes personal items from your car — but the value of those items is less than your excess, so you’d rather not claim for them — you can still make a claim for the window.
How to make a car insurance claim
The Suncorp App makes claiming easy. And since GIO is part of the Suncorp Network, GIO customers can use it to make and track claims. Just log in, select your car insurance policy, and click ‘make a claim’ to begin.
After you’ve submitted your claim, we’ll give you a claim number and will be in touch shortly. In the meantime, you’ll be able to track the progress of your claim online.
You can also make a claim online or by calling our 24/7 claims team on 13 10 10.
- Managing your car insurance policy online
- Car insurance for couples: What you should know
- How you can prevent your car from being stolen
* Limits and exclusions apply. Insurance issued by AAI Limited ABN 48 005 297 807 trading as GIO. Consider the Product Disclosure Statement before buying this insurance. This advice has been prepared without taking into account your particular objectives, financial situations or needs, so you should consider whether it is appropriate for you before acting on it.