insuring your car

What to do when selling a car

If you’ve decided to sell your car, you’ll need to take care of the basics, such as advertising it and deciding on private sale or dealership sale. But there’s a few extra steps you can take that can help the process go as smoothly as possible.

Get a valuation

This is how you accurately set a price for your vehicle, rather than just going with your gut.

By getting an offer from a car dealer, you can get a good idea of what the market would pay for your car. From there, if the price is right, you can even proceed with the dealer rather than handling the process yourself. However, you may not always get the best deal this way – after all, the dealership will be taking a cut.

Regardless of how you decide to proceed, a valuation will consider the makeup of your car. This will include its:

  • age
  • mileage
  • make and model
  • general condition
  • engine and transmission type
  • vehicle history and registration, and
  • any additional features.

Collect your belongings and clean your car

Give your car a good once-over so it looks its best. Clean all the nooks and crevices, as well as the places we tend to forget about, like beneath the seats.

Transfer or cancel your registration

Without the appropriate registration, that car won’t be going anywhere. The requirements for transferring registration differ from state to state, so be sure to check with your relevant authority for the correct information – especially if you’re selling interstate.

There will generally be a timeframe to complete this transfer without incurring an additional fee. It can be anywhere from seven to 14 days and may vary depending on the locality, and standard transfer fees may apply. There may also be additional fees due to stamp duty and motor vehicle duty.

Transferring registration will also transfer the Compulsory Third Party (CTP) Insurance on that vehicle. This is also the case for ACT MAI Insurance. This is because CTP and MAI Insurance is attached to the vehicle, and not the person who owns the vehicle. Because of this, you may need to get a new CTP or MAI Insurance policy for your new car.

Get CTP Insurance

Get a roadworthy certificate

Some transfers require a valid roadworthy certificate before the paperwork can be completed. Even if your state or territory doesn’t require one, it can still be worthwhile as proof that the vehicle actually runs.

Cancel your toll card

It may seem like a small thing, but the unexpected expenses can add up quickly if you miss it. Don’t forget to update your toll account details to ensure you’re not getting the bill for trips you never took.

Cancel or transfer your insurance

While CTP and MAI Insurance is attached to the registration, other insurance types aren’t. If you have GIO Platinum or Comprehensive Car Insurance you can skip the phone queue and update your policy details online or in the GIO App.

Depending on the details of your new car, and any other relevant changes in your circumstances, your premiums may change. Check the PDS for details and read more about covered events.

Update Your Car Insurance Policy


Read more:

Insurance issued by AAI Limited ABN 48 005 297 807 trading as GIO. Consider the Product Disclosure Statement before buying this insurance. The Target Market Determination is also available.

This advice has been prepared without taking into account your particular objectives, financial situations or needs, so you should consider whether it is appropriate for you before acting on it.

The information is intended to be of general nature only. Subject to any rights you may have under any law, we do not accept any legal responsibility for any loss or damage, including loss of business or profits or any other indirect loss, incurred as a result of reliance upon the information. Please make your own enquiries.