See our Cookie & Data Policy for more details.
What do I do if I have an accident?
We understand being involved in an accident can be a stressful experience.
That’s why we’ve created a step by step guide to help you deal with it. Remember you can call us for help 24 hours a day on 13 14 46.
- Make sure everyone is safe. In an emergency call 000 for police and ambulance assistance, for example if there’s major damage, a person is injured or debris is blocking the road. You can also call 000 if anyone involved has failed to exchange details.
- Ensure you are in a safe location away from traffic. If possible, try to prevent further loss or damage by moving your car off the road and putting on your hazard lights.
- Record the following details:
- date, time and location of the accident
- registration number, full name, address, contact number and insurance details of any drivers involved
- name, address and phone number of any witnesses
- Report the incident to the authorities. In an emergency call 000. For non-emergency police assistance, for example if there’s minor damage and no-one is injured:
- If you are in Victoria, contact your local police station.
- For all other states, contact the Police Assistance line on 131 444.
- Fill out an online claims form or contact on our claims-dedicated number, 13 14 46 us as soon as possible with details of the accident. We can help arrange the towing of your vehicle if required. We may provide cover for emergency repairs, up to $1000.