INSURING YOUR HOME
Are water leaks covered by home and contents insurance?
From appliances to plumbing, water flows through your home in many ways. If something’s leaking, it doesn’t matter how big a leak it is — dealing with it in real time can be stressful.
That’s why we’re here to help.
Does insurance cover water leaks?
Your home and contents insurance will usually cover water leaks if they’re sudden or accidental. Water leaks differ from flooding because they most often occur from within the home, as a result of appliances or plumbing, whereas flooding — at least in the language of our Home and Contents Insurance PDS — refers to water that has covered normally dry land after escaping from things like rivers, lakes and dams. Insurers may refer to a water leak as an ‘escape of liquid’.
GIO will cover loss or damage caused by liquid bursting, leaking or overflowing from appliances like your fridge or washing machine, as well as baths, sinks and toilets.
That said, it’s your responsibility to maintain the condition of these things. If a water leak occurs because of gradual damage you could reasonably be expected to be aware of, it may not be covered. So, don’t ignore signs of water damage or slow drips, even if they seem minor at the time. Consult your PDS so you’re aware of the terms and conditions that apply to your policy.
What to do if something’s leaking
If something’s leaking, there are a few simple steps that may help you to feel more in control of the situation:
- Make sure everyone’s okay. Your safety, and the safety of others (including pets), is the most important thing.
- Turn off the supply of water to your home to stem the flow.
- Keep track of the damage caused. This might include keeping notes about the event details, like what happened and when, or taking photographs to visually record the damage. This documentation can assist with your insurance claim.
- Let your insurer know.
How to make a claim
If you’re a GIO customer, lodging a claim is easy. You’ll need to have your policy number, the event details (including documentation) and the details of any damaged items handy. Once you’ve put these things together, you can lodge your claim using GIO Online Services or the Suncorp App. Alternatively, you can call us on 13 10 10.
If you need emergency assistance call us on 13 14 46. Following a few standard privacy checks, a GIO claims consultant will:
- guide you through the process of lodging a claim and what might happen next
- assign an expert water builder to your claim if required
- arrange temporary accommodation for you if you need it, and
- confirm your excess.
- How much should I insure my home for?
- Choosing the right optional covers for your home insurance
- Guide to prepare for floods
Insurance issued by AAI Limited ABN 48 005 297 807 trading as GIO. Consider the Product Disclosure Statement before buying this insurance. This advice has been prepared without taking into account your particular objectives, financial situations or needs, so you should consider whether it is appropriate for you before acting on it.