Your guide to Compulsory Third Party (CTP) and Motor Accident Injuries (MAI) Insurance

CTP and MAI Insurance are different to other kinds of car insurance.

Cover like comprehensive and third party property damage insurance are opt-in. It’s up to you whether you purchase them or not. However, MAI Insurance is compulsory for registered vehicles in the ACT, while CTP is compulsory for registered vehicles in all other states and territories.

Understanding what they cover means you’ll be aware of any gaps in your insurance coverage. So, you’ll be able to make an informed decision about whether an additional policy is best for you.

What are CTP and MAI Insurance?

Compulsory Third Party (CTP) Insurance and Motor Accident Injuries (MAI) Insurance provide cover for injuries to people who may be hurt or killed in a motor vehicle accident involving your vehicle. This might include the driver of your vehicle, other drivers, passengers in your car and other vehicles, pedestrians, cyclists and motorcyclists. In some states and territories, the person driving your vehicle may not be covered, depending on the circumstances of the accident.

Though CTP and MAI insurance are compulsory in Australia, it’s still a good idea to be aware of what you’re covered for and whether you need additional forms of car insurance cover.

How do CTP and MAI Insurance differ from other kinds of car insurance?

Both CTP and MAI Insurance only cover injuries to people. They don’t cover the cost of damaged vehicles or property, or loss or damage to your vehicle. For instance, if you were involved in an incident where your car was damaged by another driver, the other driver’s CTP or MAI Insurance does not cover the damage to your car (your CTP or MAI Insurance won't either).

However, if you had comprehensive car insurance, the damage to your car and property would likely be covered. Third party property damage car insurance provides cover for any damage you cause to another person’s vehicle or property, but not your own.

Get a Car Insurance quote

CTP and MAI Insurance cover by state and territory

Australian Capital Territory

MAI Insurance provides cover for people injured in a motor vehicle accident. You may be entitled to receive treatment, care and lost income benefits for up to five years, regardless of who is at fault.

When you register your vehicle with Access Canberra you can choose your MAI insurer, so the total cost of your vehicle registration will vary depending on the insurer you decide to go with.

It’s easy to choose GIO as your MAI insurer! Simply select GIO when you pay for your registration.

New South Wales

CTP is also known as a Green Slip in New South Wales. You must purchase it before you register your vehicle. We’ve prepared a comprehensive guide to CTP Green Slips to make the process simple.

Northern Territory

The Motor Accidents Compensation scheme is rolled into your car registration. It’s managed by the government-owned Motor Accidents Compensation Commission (MACC) and administered by Territory Insurance Office (TIO), so you can’t select a preferred insurer.

It covers all people injured in a motor vehicle accident in the Northern Territory, whether they are at fault or not. Injured people might include drivers and passengers, but also cyclists, motorbike riders and pedestrians if their injuries were caused by a vehicle.


In Queensland, CTP is attached to the registration of your vehicle. It provides protection to the at-fault driver from being held financially responsible if they injure someone in a motor vehicle accident. The scheme is regulated by the Motor Accident Insurance Commission.

There are four insurers who provide CTP Insurance cover in Queensland, including Suncorp Insurance. You can change your CTP insurer when you renew your registration. You can nominate to switch to a different insurer mid-term, but the switch won’t take effect until your next registration renewal.

South Australia

The cost of CTP in SA is bundled with vehicle registration and is payable directly to SA Government Services. There are four CTP insurers in SA, including AAMI which is part of the Suncorp Network. You can choose your CTP insurer when you register your vehicle.


Motor accident insurance is included in your vehicle registration in Tasmania. The scheme is operated by the Motor Accidents Insurance Board and provides benefits to people on a no-fault basis, who are injured as a result of a motor accident. It provides benefits such as ambulance transport, loss of income and medical costs.


In Victoria, there is a Transport Accident Commission (TAC) no-fault insurance scheme, which means if you’re injured in a transport accident you can make a claim even if you’re at fault. When you pay for your registration, you’ll also pay a premium called a ‘TAC charge’ which helps fund the program.

Western Australia

CTP Insurance is included in your registration in Western Australia. The program is operated by the Insurance Commission of Western Australia and provides cover for drivers who cause personal injury and death to others. Since 1 July 2016, the cover has been extended to include anyone who has suffered catastrophic injuries in a incident.

Manage your GIO car insurance online

If you’re a GIO customer, you can manage your Comprehensive or Third Party Car Insurance policy online or on-the-go via Online Services. You have the flexibility to:

  • lodge a claim
  • track your claim’s status
  • renew your policy
  • update your personal details, and
  • pay your excess.

Log into GIO Online Services

Read more:

Insurance issued by AAI Limited ABN 48 005 297 807 trading as GIO. Consider the Product Disclosure Statement before buying this insurance.

This advice has been prepared without taking into account your particular objectives, financial situations or needs, so you should consider whether it is appropriate for you before acting on it.