Insuring your business

Small Business Insurance vs Hospitality Insurance

6 December 2018


So, you’re a café owner or restaurateur looking for business insurance cover. Do you go with Hospitality Insurance or Small Business Insurance? When it comes to comparing business insurance options, you want to make sure that any policy covers your business’ specific needs. Before you run off to your next meeting, compare Hospitality Insurance and Small Business Insurance to see which one may be best suited to your business’ needs.

Get an insurance quote for your small business

What’s the difference between Small Business Insurance and Hospitality Insurance?

Hospitality Insurance is a type of Business Insurance cover that’s specifically designed for businesses in the accommodation and food services industry, such as restaurants, cafes, food and coffee vans, and caterers. It can provide cover for theft, damage to property, food spoilage, business interruption and more. In comparison, Small Business Insurance is a broader insurance category, under which you can find covers suited to a range of industries and businesses, including cafés and restaurants, as well as trades, retail and many more.

Each insurer will offer different policies that cover small businesses – regardless of whether it’s bundled under Hospitality Insurance or Small Business Insurance. So, the difference between Hospitality and Small Business Insurance depends on what policies are specific to a business’ operation. A policy could be determined based on industry, trade, size and location of your business, and appetite for risk. For example, GIO’s Retail Business Protect is designed for businesses operating in both the retail and hospitality industries – such as cafés and restaurants – and provides cover for Public and Products Liability, theft, equipment breakdown, business interruption and more.

What are the types of Business Insurance?

Regardless of the business you’re working in – whether it’s a mobile food van or pet shop – it’s important to familiarise yourself with your Business Insurance options. These might include:  

  • Public and Products Liability
  • Property damage
  • Theft of contents and stock
  • Theft or damage to money
  • Portable and valuable items
  • Equipment breakdown
  • Business interruption
  • Motor vehicles
  • Tax probe
  • Personal accident and illness.

At other times, you might want to ensure that you can find policies tailored to your unique business needs. For example, restaurants may benefit from food contamination and food spoilage cover. This insurance may cover power outage or equipment breakdowns, which can cause a loss to food inventory. Food contamination might also cover employee errors such as mishandling food or if the food arrives spoiled. It’s always best to speak to your insurer about getting the best policy coverage for your business.

Deciding on Business Insurance

Knowing the various insurance products available on the market can help you make a more informed decision. Regardless of whether you’re after cover for your café or restaurant, or a broader Small Business Insurance package, it’s important to ensure you have adequate cover for your business.

Learn more about GIO Small Business Insurance products

Explore your Hospitality Insurance and Small Business Insurance options with GIO by calling us on 13 10 10 (check our contact hours) for more information. Or get a quote online now and know your business has cover.


Insurance issued by AAI Limited ABN 48 005 297 807 trading as GIO. Consider the Product Disclosure Statement before making a decision about this insurance. This advice has been prepared without taking into account your particular objectives, financial situations or needs, so you should consider whether it is appropriate for you before acting on it.