Am I covered while my property is being renovated?
Our Home and Contents Insurance policies only apply to completed buildings that are being lived in, so we do not cover new buildings during construction. If you are renovating your home or unit, we will not cover any loss or damage to, or caused by, connected with or arising from those building extensions, alterations or renovations (other than the cover available under ‘Legal Liability’) including:
- damage caused by cracking, collapse, subsidence caused fully or partially by the construction work;
- damage caused by storm, flood or water entering the home through openings in the walls or roof or other parts of the home under construction, whether or not they are temporarily covered at the time of the damage;
- damage caused by storm or flood to any part of the home that is not fully built or is undergoing extensions, alterations or renovations;
- theft or damage by someone who enters or leaves through an unlockable part of the home that is under construction;
- damage caused by a malicious act or vandalism to unfinished parts of the home.
Please contact us if you’re commencing building works or renovations at your home, including demolition