Financial Hardship Policy
If you need support with any of our insurance products or services, we’re here to help you.
We’re committed to supporting customers facing financial hardship. Our Financial Hardship Policy can help you access support and services when you need them most.
How we can support you
If you’re in financial stress and are unable to pay money owed to us, we may — in certain circumstances — agree to:
- offer instalment payments
- delay or extend payment terms
- put the recovery of monies on hold
- release your debt (where appropriate)
- agree with you to pay a reduced lump sum amount
- deduct an excess from a claim amount (cash settlement), and/or
- give you access to our financial hardship support team.
Managing our debt collectors
Our agents have been trained to manage financial distress. However, you may still contact us. If you tell our collection agent or solicitor that you’re in financial distress they must notify us and will give you information in writing about our Financial Hardship process.
How to apply for support
If you’re going through financial hardship, please contact us today. We’ll provide you with a form to apply for financial support and help you through the application process.
Please let us know if we can help refer you to external services such as community support and financial counselling services.
Natural disaster and fast tracking of urgent claims
We support all our customers and their communities by responding to catastrophes and natural disasters efficiently, professionally and compassionately.
If a natural disaster has meant you have to make a claim under your policy and caused you financial hardship, we may:
- fast track both our assessment of your claim and the process we follow to make a decision about your claim, and/or
- pay you an advance amount in order to ease your urgent financial need within 5 days once agreed.
If you’re in this position, please let us know – we’re here to support you.
Access to other information and support
Here are free and confidential financial counselling resources that can provide advice to Australians in every state and territory:
- Contact the National Debt Helpline on 1800 007 007
- Visit the ASIC MoneySmart website
- View the Good Shepherd website for affordable financial programs to people who are financially excluded
Essentials by AAI
If you are unable to afford mainstream insurance cover, there may be a solution for your needs. Please visit Essentials by AAI. Essentials by AAI provides low cost cover for those on low incomes in partnership with Good Shepherd.
Insurance is provided for cars and/or contents insurance only, is limited to low sums insured, and is subject to eligibility criteria.
Insurance issued by AAI Limited ABN 48 005 297 807. Read the Product Disclosure Statement before making a decision about this insurance. Click here for a copy. This advice has been prepared without taking into account your particular objectives, financial situations or needs, so you should consider whether it is appropriate for you before acting on it.
“We” are AAI Limited, issuer of general insurance products under the GIO Brand.
For the purposes of these policies “customer” or “you” are used interchangeably to mean an individual insured, a third-party beneficiary, a potential customer, or an individual which we as an insurer are seeking to recover from. A customer may be liaising with us on their own behalf or via a duly authorised representative.