Receive a lump sum payout
- Choose a level of cover between $5,000 and $30,000 (max $15,000 if you choose level premiums). There are no restrictions on how this money can be spent.
- If you are terminally ill and your claim is accepted, we will pay your full sum insured early, helping you to arrange your financial affairs.
- At claim time we will compare your sum insured to the amount you have paid in premiums over the life of your GIO Funeral Insurance policy and if you are eligible for payment we will pay whichever amount is greater.
Have flexibility and control over your cover
- Single and joint policies available. Plus receive a 20% discount on your premiums when you purchase a joint policy
- Like most types of life insurance, the cost of Funeral insurance typically increases each year as you age. This is what’s known as a 'Stepped' premium. With GIO Funeral Insurance, we offer you the choice to fix your premium so that it doesn’t increase as a result of your age. We call this a ‘Level’ premium.
Find out more about stepped and level premiums
- Increase or decrease your cover anytime by simply calling 1800 203 639
- 30 days from purchase to cancel if you change your mind, and receive a full refund of any premiums paid, as long as you haven't made a claim during that time.
Straightforward claims process
- You let us know who you'd like your money paid to (your beneficiary)
- Access to payment is usually within 2 business days from an approved claim. How to claim
Trusted & established
- Established in 1927, we’ve been a trusted Australia insurer for almost 90 years
Supportive & understanding
- Speak to a real person in one of our Australian based call centres.
- If you are unable to pay your GIO Funeral Insurance premiums, for example due to financial hardship, you can contact us and request your premium be paused for up to 3 months over the life of the policy. While premiums are paused your cover will be limited to death by accidents only. Find out more about pausing.
We reward loyalty
- You will not pay any premiums after you turn 85, your cover will continue at no cost to you.
- Receive a 10% refund on all premiums you have paid on this policy during the previous 3 years, every 3 years.
- If you and your partner both sign up for policies, you can enjoy a 20% family discount.
- Take out a funeral insurance policy and as a thank you from us, after the first 30 days of your policy have passed, we’ll send you a $50 gift card.
Quick & easy to purchase online or over the phone
- No medical tests or doctors reports are required to purchase GIO funeral insurance.
- There are no health questions. All we need to know is your age, gender, type of premium, and how much cover you'd like.
- Fortnightly, monthly or annual premiums available at no extra cost, to suit your budget.
If you can answer 'yes' to both of these questions you are able to purchase GIO Funeral Insurance
1. Are you aged 45-75 years? 2. Are you a citizen or permanent resident of Australia or New Zealand who currently resides in Australia?
1. Call Us
Call us on 13 10 10 as soon as possible after the event
2. Receive a claims pack
We will email, fax or post you a claims pack to be filled in and sent back with all requested information
Our claims team will keep you updated on the progress of your claim
Feel in control with GIO
Established since 1927
Trusted insurer for 90 years
Australian based call centres
We are here to help
Join 1.2 million Australians & New Zealanders1
Helping to look after the insurance needs of 1.2 million customers
1Includes customers of both AAI Limited and Suncorp Life & Superannuation Limited which hold GIO branded products
GIO Funeral Insurance is issued by Suncorp Life & Superannuation Limited ABN 87 073 979 530 AFSL 229880 (SLSL), under the brand GIO, and is distributed by Suncorp Financial Services Pty Ltd ABN 50 010 844 621, AFSL 229885 (SFS). AAI Limited ABN 48 005 297 807 (AAI) trading as GIO does not provide any financial product advice in relation to GIO Funeral Insurance. Any advice in this information is general advice only and has been prepared without taking into account any person’s objectives, financial situation or needs. You should consider the Combined Product Disclosure Statement and Policy Document (PDS) for GIO Funeral Insurance before making any decisions about whether to acquire this product. GIO Funeral insurance is not a savings product and premiums increase with age. If you cancel your policy any premiums you have paid for your policy will not be refunded.