Yes, if you have a holiday home that is only for your personal use and is unoccupied for a majority of the time, you can still insure your property with GIO Home and Contents Insurance. If you make a claim, you will likely need to pay an unoccupied excess.

We will apply the unoccupied excess to each incident covered by your policy (unless the policy states that no excess applies to your claim) if, at the time of the incident, the home or unit has been unoccupied for more than 60 continuous days.

A period of inoccupancy starts when the home or unit becomes unoccupied and comes to an end when you, or someone nominated by you, has occupied the home or unit for at least 2 consecutive nights.