Hospitality Insurance

GIO offers specialised products for businesses operating in the hospitality and food services industries. So if you run restaurants, cafes, takeaways or bakeries, you can customise the cover to match your needs. 

Get a quote   Call us

What is Hospitality Insurance?

Hospitality Insurance is a type of business insurance cover designed for small businesses in the accommodation and food services industry, such as, cafes, restaurants, pizza shops, and more. GIO Retail Business Protect provides cover for public and products liability, theft, equipment breakdown, business interruption, and other types of insurance.

You're in control

GIO Public Liability, Retail Business Protect, and Mobile Business Protect are designed for businesses operating in the retail hospitality industry, whether you are a sole trading barista, small takeaway shop or multi-store restaurant business.

With the ability to tailor the retail business insurance package by selecting covers to suit your hospitality business, this offering from GIO will help ensure you have peace of mind that your hospitality business is better protected.

Diverse Cover

Wide range of insurance cover designed for your retail business.

Fast & easy claims

Fast and easy claims lodgement process.

Pay monthly

You can pay monthly to assist with your cash flow.

Some businesses we insure

These are just some of the hospitality businesses we insure

  • Cafe
  • Restaurant
  • Internet cafe
  • Coffee shop/barista
  • Juice bar
  • Mobile food vendor
  • Pie shop
  • Ice cream shop
  • Noodle shop
  • Canteen/kiosk
  • Chicken shop
  • Salad bar
  • Pizza shop
  • Sushi bar
  • Fish and chip shop
  • Sandwich shop
  • Caterer
  • Mobile chef

Can't see the business you are looking for?

Don't worry we can still help you.

After entering your details, our application will determine a range of covers that are available for your business.

Covers we offer

Flexible cover to suit your needs

GIO Public Liability

For businesses that only need basic cover

Public Liability is available within GIO's Protect range of policies.

Public and Products Liability cover with limits up to $20 million

Advertising liability

Cover for items held in your care, custody or control

GIO Mobile Business Protect

For businesses operating on the road

If you’re running a mobile hospitality business like a coffee van or food truck, GIO Mobile Business Protect offers all the benefits of Public Liability plus other covers that you can choose according to your needs.

Public and Products Liability cover with limits up to $20 million

GIO Retail Business Protect

For businesses operating from a commercial premises

If you are running a restaurant, café or coffee shop, GIO Retail Business Protect is designed to cover your needs with enhanced covers for specialised fit-outs and seasonal increases to stock. However if you’re a mobile food vendor GIO Mobile Business Protect may help by providing cover for those business insurance needs.

Public and Products Liability cover with limits up to $20 million

Read policy document (PDS)

These are just some of the covers GIO Business Protect offers. See the PDS for the complete list of covers. 

Start Now

After entering your details, our application will determine a range of covers that are available for your business. 

Looking for more detail?

Any advice has been prepared without taking into account your particular objectives, financial situation or needs, so you should consider whether it is appropriate for you before acting on it.  Please read the relevant Product Disclosure Statement before you make any decision regarding this product. The Target Market Determination is also available. 

Information provided is general advice only and doesn’t take into account your particular objectives, financial situation or needs. Conditions, exclusions and limits apply. Consider the Product Disclosure Statement before making a decision about this insurance.

Frequently asked questions
for Hospitality

Speak to a GIO Business Insurance consultant on 13 10 10 (8am-7pm AEST/AEDT, Mon-Fri).

Our knowledgeable, Australian-based call centre team are passionate about Business Insurance. We’re ready to answer your questions about our products and services. We can also assist you with purchasing or renewing a policy, updating your details and more.

Property Damage

Cover for your building, business contents, stock or specified items for events such as fire, storm (excluding flood), impact, lightning, explosion and earthquake. Also included is the cost of removing debris, and rewriting of records.


Cover for theft of your contents, specified items and stock. Cover is not provided for theft of contents in the open air.


Covers loss or damage to glass that you own or for which you are legally responsible at your business premises, the cost of temporary shuttering, replacement of sign writing, cost of replacing any window tinting film and the cost value of stock and contents spoiled by the broken glass.


Covers loss of money at your business premises during and outside of business hours. Cover is also provided for money lost during transit, whilst in a safe or strongroom or in custody at a residential premises. The policy does not cover loss of money due to accounting or clerical errors or theft by staff.

Business Interruption

Provides cover for reduction in turnover or revenue if your business is interrupted due to an insured event such as fire, burglary or storm damage. Reasonable claims preparation costs and increased cost of working are included as extra covers.

Public and Products Liability cover

Cover for your legal liability for personal injury, damage to third party property, and/or advertising liability if it occurred in connection with your business.

Portable and Valuable Items

Cover for portable and valuable items such as mobile phones, laptop computers and tools of trade that you usually carry around with you in the course of your business. Cover is provided for accidental loss or damage to portable and valuable items worldwide. Cover limit up to $2,500 applies per item unless the item has been specified for a higher value.

Tax Probe

Covers you for professional fees (such as accounting fees) associated with a tax audit or investigation of your business’s tax affairs by the ATO or Government agency. Tax Probe cover provided depends on whether you select Business Audit only, Business and Directors Audit or Individual cover.

Commercial Motor

Commercial Motor Vehicle Insurance offers three types of cover for your business vehicles:

  • Comprehensive cover: provides cover for your vehicle as well as third party property damage
  • Legal liability, fire and theft: provides cover for your vehicle for fire and theft only and cover for third party property damage
  • Legal liability: provides cover for third party property damage only.

Equipment Breakdown

(Not available online)

Covers the cost of repairing or replacing your insured equipment due to a breakdown at your business premises. Cover is also provided for any direct loss or damage to insured property as a result of the breakdown. Deterioration of stock, restoration of computer data and increased costs of working are optional covers available for an additional premium.

Personal Accident & Illness

(Not available online)

Business insurance not only can provide cover for damage to physical assets, but can also offer Personal Accident & Illness cover to business owners and staff named on the policy schedule. There are 2 types of cover:

  • Accident only
  • Accident & Illness

Goods in Transit

(Not available online)

Provides cover for loss or damage caused to goods you sell, buy or use in your business when they are in transit. There are 2 types of covers:

  • Specified perils: includes collision, fire and explosion
  • Accidental damage: includes specified perils and accidental loss or damage

Management Liability

(Not available online)

Covers the management liability of you, your directors, officers and employees. Optional cover for Employee Dishonesty is also available for an additional premium.