Make a claim

An accident on the road is always a stressful time – but Motor Accident Injuries (MAI) Insurance can help with the aftermath. MAI Insurance provides cover for people injured in a motor vehicle accident in the ACT. You may be entitled to receive treatment, care and income replacement benefits for up to five years – regardless of who was at fault.

If you’ve lost a close relative or dependant in a motor accident you may be able to make a claim for funeral expenses and death benefits. 

You can find out more if your accident happened before 1 February 2020.

Step 1 IconTo claim, you’ll need to:


  • Report the accident to ACT Policing.
  • Identify the MAI insurer of the vehicle most at fault for the accident.
  • Seek appropriate medical treatment.
  • Visit your doctor (GP) and let them know you were injured in a motor vehicle accident. They’ll need to complete a Medical Report form for you. Your GP will play an important role in helping you recover.

Step 2 IconComplete the relevant forms

Some of the forms will need to be printed and signed. If you can’t print them, contact us on 13 10 10 and we can send the forms to you.

Personal injuries application

This form provides us important information about you, your injuries and your employment.

Download the Personal Injuries application form (PDF)

Fitness for work certificate

Have your GP complete this form if you wish to claim for income replacement benefits as a result of a motor accident.

Download the Fitness for Work Certificate (PDF)

Funeral benefits application

Complete this form to allow us to help cover the cost of funeral expenses if someone passes away as a result of a motor accident.

Download the Funeral Benefits application form (PDF)

Dependant benefits application

This form can be completed to support surviving dependants of somebody who passes away as a result of a motor accident.

Download the Dependant Benefits application form (PDF)

Step 3 IconSubmitting your claim

Submit your completed claim form or forms as soon as possible, within 13 weeks after the date of the accident, or in the case of dependant benefits within 13 weeks of the deceased’s date of death. Send your forms to the insurer of the vehicle most at fault. If you’re unsure who this is, give us a call on 13 10 10.


Email your completed forms to:


Post your completed claim forms to:
GIO MAI Claims
GPO Box 706
Canberra ACT 2601


We are here to help. If you have questions about any of the above steps, call us on 13 10 10.

9am–5pm (ACT time) Monday–Friday

What happens next

Your Claims Advisor will contact you within three working days to discuss your claim. For more information about how we can support you while you recover, see our Key Benefits fact sheet below.

Download the Key Benefits fact sheet (PDF)

Track your claim

You can call us on 13 10 10.

We’re here to take your call between 9am–5pm (ACT time) Monday–Friday.

Did your accident happen before 1 February 2020?

On 1 February 2020 the Motor Accident Injuries (MAI) Insurance scheme replaced the Compulsory Third Party (CTP) scheme in the ACT.

If your accident happened before 1 February 2020, give us a call on 13 10 10 and we can help you lodge your claim. 

You can find our ACT MAI Insurance Privacy Statement online. This statement explains how we collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information and who we share it with, and explains how we protect your personal information.


We know lodging a claim can be confusing at times. The below frequently asked questions can help you understand the process.