Any part of Australia could experience an earthquake. To reduce your vulnerability, Emergency Management Australia recommends the following precautionary steps:
- Check that your insurance covers earthquake damage.
- If you currently building your home, seek expert advice on the depth and type of foundations and construction to suit your soil conditions.
- Check and repair cracks in walls or gaps in mortar between bricks in existing buildings.
- Have an emergency kit which includes: a portable radio and torch with fresh batteries; containers of fresh water, canned food supplies; and a first aid kit and instruction manual.
- Have an evacuation plan for you and your family.
- Know the safest areas during earthquakes. Shelter under a door frame, table, bench, etc.
- List emergency phone numbers for police, fire, ambulance and gas, etc.
- If indoors, don't leave the house and keep clear of windows, chimneys and overhead fittings. If leaving the home, do not use elevators/lifts.
- Keep well clear of buildings, overhead structures, walls, bridges, power lines, trees etc.
- Stay away from fallen power lines; damaged roads, and landslides.
- Listen to your car radio for warnings before moving.
- Turn off electricity, gas, and water. Do not light matches and check for gas or fuel leaks and damaged wiring.
- Check for broken water, sewerage or electrical mains.
- Expect aftershocks. Evacuate if the building is damaged.
- Do not go sightseeing or enter damaged buildings. Don't panic and help others if possible.
- Geosciences Australia: http://www.ga.gov.au/earthquakes/staticPageController.do?page=earthquake-activity
- Emergency NSW: https://www.emergency.nsw.gov.au/
- VIC Emergency: https://emergency.vic.gov.au/respond/
- Queensland Fire & Emergency Services: https://www.qfes.qld.gov.au/Pages/default.aspx
- Emergency WA: https://www.emergency.wa.gov.au/
- Alert SA: https://www.alert.sa.gov.au/map
- TAS Alert: http://www.alert.tas.gov.au/Pages/Home.aspx
- Emergency Information — Northern Territory: http://emergencynt.info/
This information is general in nature and is intended only as a guide.