Cyclones are frequent visitors of Australia between November and April. Cyclones mainly affect coastal areas north of Perth along the WA and NT coasts, most of the QLD coast and occasionally the far northern NSW coast.
Here are some precautionary measures as recommended by Emergency Management Australia
- Before the cyclone season, check with your local council if your home has been built to cyclone standards.
- Check that the walls, roof and eaves of your home are secure.
- Trim treetops and branches well clear of your home (get council permission).
- Fit shutters, or at least metal screens, to all glass areas.
- Clear your property of loose material that could blow about and possibly cause injury or damage during extreme winds.
- In case of a storm warning or other flooding, know your nearest safe high ground and the safest access route to it.
- Prepare an emergency kit to take with you and keep a list of emergency numbers on display.
- When a cyclone watch is issued, fill your car's fuel tank. Ensure that your family members know which is the strongest part of your house.
- Listen continuously to your local radio/TV for further warnings.
- When the cyclone strikes, disconnect all electrical appliances. Listen to your battery radio for updates.
- Stay indoors (unless you are asked to evacuate) in the strongest part of the building, i.e. cellar, internal hallway or bathroom. Keep evacuation and emergency kits with you.
- Protect yourself with mattresses, rugs or blankets under a strong table or bench if the building starts to break up.
- Drive carefully as roads may be filled with debris.
- Bureau of Meteorology: http://www.bom.gov.au/
- Geoscience Australia: http://www.ga.gov.au/scientific-topics/hazards/flood
- Emergency NSW: https://www.emergency.nsw.gov.au/
- VIC Emergency: https://emergency.vic.gov.au/respond/
- Queensland Fire & Emergency Services: https://www.qfes.qld.gov.au/Pages/default.aspx
- Emergency WA: https://www.emergency.wa.gov.au/
- Alert SA: https://www.alert.sa.gov.au/map
- TAS Alert: http://www.alert.tas.gov.au/
- Emergency Information — Northern Territory: https://nt.gov.au/emergency
This information is general in nature and is intended only as a guide.