How do I make a Home and Contents Insurance claim?
If you have experienced an insured event, you can follow these five steps towards making a claim with GIO.
- Make sure everyone is safe. For emergencies, call 000.
- Try to prevent further loss or damage. If possible, take reasonable steps to prevent further loss, damage, or liability. For example, if there is a hole in the roof, arrange for it to be covered to prevent further water damage from the rain.
- If there has been theft or malicious damage, you must immediately report it to the police. Give the police a list of all stolen or damaged items. Keep the details of the date you reported the offence, the name of the police officer/s, the police station you reported it to, and the report number.
- Call GIO on 13 14 46 as soon as reasonable and possible. You can call us 24 hours a day. If you delay reporting your claim to us, we will not be able to pay for any additional loss or damage caused by your delay.
- When you call us, describe the details of what has been affected by the event (e.g. a broken window, storm damage, or a list of stolen items).